Saturday, September 28, 2013

Wings and Roots Series

Another new show at Fayetteville Underground, and I've collected some figure paintings for my part of the October exhibit.

Freedom of Movement

In an effort to achieve movement in the artwork,
I asked my model to find a pose and an counter-pose,
since the sessions were long and the positions
too difficult to hold for a long time. 
Her counter-pose helped to relax and rest some
of the muscles used in the pose. Mostly, she stayed
in one position for only thirty seconds at a time.
During the process of painting, since it proved
to be a good solution, I began speculating that some
of my favorite artists may have used the same method
at times.
Sadly, the counterpose is lost. Had I been a more
accomplished painter with more stamina, I might have
done first one, then the other, and so on . . .
 
 
 
 
Detail - Choice of the Angel